I am constantly amazed at the big deal some of us make over homosexuality. The fact that someone is gay tells me almost nothing about the person. It does not tell me if the person is a dullard or a dimwit. The fact that someone is or isn't gay doesn't tell me if the person is a lowlife.
I seldom talk about commenters I admire but familiar readers will know exactly who I am talking about. One of the commenters I admire the most is a retired US Army Chaplin and father. He is well known for his class, dignity, humor and intellect. All that know him are quite honored and respect him greatly. His comments are among the best I see on any blog. I am proud to call the man a friend and I do not say that about many of the commenters.
If you were to take the known facts about my life and his and use the standard gay stereo types it would appear more probable that I am gay. I lived in the Village and it has been knows as a gay district for decades. I often attend live theatre and frequent art museums. I have no children and would like to keep it that way. I have never served in the US military. I am not religious in any description. I did enjoy the music of Freddy Mercury even though it cracks me up at times. Despite all those stereotypes I am still heterosexual and my good friend is not.
A person's morality is determined by the life they lead. My friend is a religious person and he is widely respected for his class and dignity. When he talks of God it is with the love and compassion that typifies a true believer. This person does not merely spout words about God, they live the life. I respect genuine religious people who live the life and do not condescend to others who do not.
When I think of my friend I remember the person who reminded me there was no shame in running on 9-11. If there was shame in running on that day I have plenty of company. When I think of that person I think of a person who brings joy and happiness wherever he goes. Does the fact that my friend is gay change any of this. No.
I have known many gay people as most New Yorkers. Amazingly the Gay Republicans take more heat for being Republican than being Gay. Most of them were decent people who just liked some different things. There were certainly plenty of nasty gay people, just as there are nasty straight people. Certainly my sister's brother in laws drama queen antics are well known. Waking me in the morning to get salted butter, 1% milk (I do not want to imagine what the other 99% is), Yardley's English Rose Lavender soap is a sure way to find out about the after life. Waking me up in the morning in general is not a good idea unless you are carrying food. It is just one of many quirks and variations that define our lives.
I also understand those who are religious and repect the traditional interpretation of the scripture like Rav Roov. Rav Roov would like to function as a clergyman without hypocritical ACLU Commie types telling him how he can do his job. He does not want a freak like Ruth Bader Ginsburg telling him he must perform Gay marriage or creating lawsuits over who is a member of his congregation. God by nature is not PC and who would want a PC God anyway.
The other issues are when is it appropriate to dicuss homosexuality in the school ciriculum and the left coast gratuitously placing gay themes on TV. I want to use the examples of Wil and Grace of a show that was well written with charachters who were Gay. The Ellen Degeneres show was not funny and was poorly written and above all was peachy. The mass media nuts sometimes place a gay storyline into a show like the Sopranos gratuitously. There have been a few gay mobsters, but the story line added nothing and was the lowlight of the show.
In general we make far too big of an issue of this subject. Now Communism is a dangerous alternative lifestyle. Jihadism is also another violent disgusting alternative lifestyle. Let not go into over drive on a subject that in of iteslf means nothing on a day to day basis.