Tuesday, March 06, 2007

- 43 wind chill

This morning the wind chill was -43. The sign on the bank read -7 and the local station said with the gusts it feels like minus 43. Luckily I did not have to scrape ice off the car. At that temp it takes about 20 minutes to feel heat.

Earl the cat just dug himself into a blanket by the radiator.He seems to think the reading lamp is a sauna. It will be around 40 on Sunday so Earl can return to the wild. He usually greets me when I return looking for food. I have a few cans in the car in case a friend shows up.

I see him when I read outside always looking for a handout. If the weather gets bad
like a ptotracted period of rain I take him in. There was a three week period where it rained every day and I took him in for a few days.

I have no idea how anything survives out there but it does.

8 comments:

American Crusader said...

I had a nice fire going early this morning.
Al Gore and the media keep talking about Global Warming and I keep asking....when?
Tyson (my Boston Terrier - I named him Tyson for confidence reasons) has learned how to crawl under the covers even after the bed is made.

The Merry Widow said...

Anyone who calls animals "dumb" needs to have their IQ questioned! My daughter's cat has a secret place in my closet...don't ask me where.
On cold days, my dog comes out to check on me, then heads back to his nice, warm bed!
Earl is not dumb, that's how he survives!
Good morning, G*D bless and Maranatha!

tmw

beakerkin said...

It is now -14 with no wind. Earl is
still under the blankets. I will go into work but it fairly cold in the aparment in the 50's. It will be warm next week with temps in the 40's.

There is no salisburry steak or Hebrew National products in the wild. He has survived another winter in luxury. He will not be eating hot food in a week or so.
He does mooch a snack in the park
by the train station but that is about it.

Always On Watch said...

Brrrr! My old bones couldn't take that temperature!

Urban Infidel said...

I second that, MerryWidow.

My dog waits until I get out of bed and then he gets in right into my spot.
He also knows whenever I call for delivery. He watches me reach for the menus and the phone and then he starts singing and whining until the food arrives.

He's an excellent watchdog too.

The Merry Widow said...

UI-Dogs are great company! My puppy-wuppy is too big to get in bed like that, and he can only get on the bed when the bedspread is on. At 80 lbs. it is a lot of puppy! But I fix him a bed with an old bedspread and a fleece blanket in a draft free corner. He loves it, and on cold mornings, I let him out and back he goes! But he always stops to see if it's alright to leave me! what a sweetie!

tmw

jams o donnell said...

-7F I can't imagine how cold that is let alone -43F.. 25F is as cold as it usually gets here and that is bad enough for me!

(((Thought Criminal))) said...

Colder than a welldigger's ass