Sunday, August 08, 2010

Listening to Poe

I have had the distinct pleasure of listening to Edgar Alan Poe adaptations on CBS mystery theater radio. Those adaptations are better than the original readings. EG Marshall was a great host and the music was perfect.

I remember sitting as a young kid in the Catskill Mountains listening on the tube radio after a campfire with my cousins. The tales would be spooky and sometimes we could hear rebroacasts from distant stations. There were many excellent actors including Fred Gwynne whose voice I remembered from those shows before I saw the Munsters on reruns.

Perhaps I will do the Mighty Bearkerkin Community Theatre production of The Oblong Box staring Beakerkin and the Duck along with some surprising guest cameos. The spoof will be a tribute to the classic with the expected humor and satire.

6 comments:

Ducky's here said...

If you have an iTunes account, iTunes U has a lot of spoken word Poe.
Check out USF Lit2Go, lot of good stuff.

beakerkin said...

I do not have an Itunes account but EG Marshall is good enough.

Foghorn Leghorn said...

Surprise, Surprise, Surprising guest cameos? I'll give that some thought.

beakerkin said...

Our writer has informed us that the Beakerkin satire has one spot for poultry and the Marxist Duck has that role.

Brooke said...

Glenn Beck does a very good reading of The Telltale Heart.

Rufus T. Firefly, Esq. said...

The Beak said,"Our writer has informed us that the Beakerkin satire has one spot for poultry and the Marxist Duck has that role."

OK fine.

Duck Soup, anyone?