Monday, October 30, 2006

Evolution

A good blog adapts with the times and is always fesh and enjoyable. My blog has been influenced by Talk Radio, other Blogs by the audience.

The widely popular interview segment was originally intended as a Mr Beamish vehicle.
We would do a wacky press conference ask about oddities such as grenade fishing or offroad golf and get funny responses. However, I had listened to the great Bob Grant and observed his straight ahead style. He doesn't throw softballs like Larry King, he remains a professional and one learns a thing or two.

While talk radio has expanded nationally it was a NYC phenomena in the early eighties. There was the legendary Bob Grant and a young upstart named Limbaugh. Limbaugh had a NYC only show that featured caller abortions. NYC residents would call and ask to be aborted. This did not play well nationally but we pay tribute to that segment here with troll abortions.

The best show for fun is still the Mark Levin show. Levin is similar to the great Bob Grant but has yet to master the art of interviewing. He has liberals call on a special line and smacks them around with great humor. Much of my responses to the Duck and other trolls are patterned after Levin and Grant.

The Blog Roast bit was a tribute to the Dean Martin Roasts. I used to enjoy watching them on a Friday Night. However, the era of big time Night club style comedians may be over.

16 comments:

JINGOIST said...

Beak I gotta agree about talk radio. I love it! Most days I get to listen to either Boortz, Limbaugh or Hannity. The lefties are working overtime to impose the "fairness doctrine" to shut it down. They expose themselves as enemies of the 1st Amendment when they do that.

Morgan

nanc said...

o.t. - beak - richard poe article at fpm:

http://www.frontpagemag.com/Articles/ReadArticle.asp?ID=25189

Anonymous said...

beak,

I understand that in person you look a lot like Tony Curtis. Any truth to the rumour?

Or is it possible that in another life, you were Harry Houdini? AoW has a post about him at her site....

Always On Watch said...

Beak,
OT here....See Farmer's and my comment HERE.

I miss the night club comedians. Loved those Dean Martin Roasts! One can relive those good ol' days every year in Steubenville, Ohio, on Dean Martin Day--usually held in the early part of or in the middle of June. I'd find the link, but right now I have to dash off to give a few piano lessons. But I know the Dean Martin Day festivities are still held every year. One year, my husband and I attended the events.

Anonymous said...

Limbaugh is just another inflated Talk Radio host, that only appeals to the far right or those in that camp, for the most part to the rest of us, who don't drink kool aide from either party, he comes across as a Jackass, Talk radio is a joke in my opinion, which is why i don't listen to it.

I will watch shows like Tucker, or Scarbourgh Country, and shows like Oreilly and Hannity and Colmes.

Talk radio is basically overrated and a waste of time in my humble opinion, but to each his own.

American Crusader said...

Larry King got his start at WIOD 610 AM in Miami. Many of his coworkers and other radio hosts(Neil Rogers in particular) don't speak kindly of him. It seems he is mostly remembered for bad breath and being cheap though I think there must be a tad bit of jealousy also.
I used to enjoy listening to Limbaugh but lately it's like listening to a rabid dog.
Now my radio talkshow listening is limited to sports talk while in the car.
I agree with your observation that many blogs are influenced by their readers. Hopefully, it is a two-way street.

Freedomnow said...

Maybe you should start posting MP3s to make it a real Talk Blog.

With YouTube things are getting interesting out there.

nanc said...

are you okay, beak?

inquiring minds would like to know!

elmers brother said...

robert, you should try Dennis Prager...intellectually honest and a great thinker.

elmers brother said...

oh and Dean Martin is the bomb. My father was from Steubenville and we have many relatives there. He also funded a Catholic orphanage in the little town in Ohio that I grew up in. Huge fan of his roasts.

beakerkin said...

I am slighlty under the weather in Staten Island. I will be in VT tommorow.

nanc said...

well, i'm glad to know you're still with us.

elmers brother said...

Rob, try Dennis Prager...he's both intellectually honest and one of the best thinkers around.

(((Thought Criminal))) said...

Ducky's "thought" is influenced by Father Coughlin.

The Merry Widow said...

Beaker- You need to start taking better care of yourself! i'm going to e-mail you some ideas for getting mor sleep that aren't addictive! sleep is key to a strong immune system!
Good morning, G*D bless and Maranatha!

tmw

nanc said...

i hate sleeping! well, until i get there - then i like it - well, until i awaken - then i don't like it anymore!