Sunday, December 11, 2005

Honoring your Vows

Older readers know I took an oath upon joining the Federal Government. My coworkers and I take this vow seriously each and every day on the job. Most of the time the job is a pleasure but there are exceptions.

There are times when the law will not allow us to help people in dire straits. Even worse there are times when upholding the law seems absurd. I had one such case and I decided to make a deliberate mistake and make the paperwork go in circles. My boss said to me remember your oath. I looked at him and said who will know. You are a profesional place the note and do the right thing. My boss was correct of course but I was expected to be a professional . The next man would have to stop this predator and with a heavy heart I followed my oath.

Fast forward this to this weekends FPM. A Muslim FBI agent refused to wear a wire to tape his brother Muslims. The man should be terminated immediately but instead he was allowed to jeapordize an investigation into terrorist funding. There are plenty of Arabic speaking Copts and Jews why was this man placed in a position to harm America.

I understand that there is a temptation to see the best in ones coworkers but not without verification. In reality the only person we can trust is the man in the mirror. Would I have done the right thing without the gentle reminder from my bosss ?
One can not measure or quantify the human heart.

Beamish in 08

1 comment:

(((Thought Criminal))) said...

That's the Federal Bureau of Incompetence for you.