Saturday, July 24, 2010

Facades

People who know me in person know that the actual person is quite different from the blog persona. I loathe ceremonies of all types and the pageantry and protocols. I am considered naturally outgoing but I loathe public speaking.

A coworker who was my first friend when in the NYC office passed away. He loved the law had a passion that only the best officers have. Yet, he was shy and not confident with the public. He was scholarly and serious as opposed to my more open lively style.

I had sent the boss three over me some notes to work into the eulogy. I never thought or expected to be asked to read them at the service. Somewhere within I will have to overcome my fear of large crowds and deliver sentiments that show how his wisdom continues in all of us.

All officers change lives, but I will forever remember how he handled one case with tact in a delicate situation. The worst cases we see are those with domestic violence. Sadly, those who need it sometimes refuse to consider it due to fear or social stigma. We did have a case where a woman refused such help. My friend looked at the facts and found two precedents and we were able to help the family. The amazing part is that this family will never know the hand of the studious scholar that changed their lives.

Doing the right thing was its own reward for my peer. He never wanted recognition and loved the job for its own sake.

6 comments:

CM said...

People like your wonderful friend are few and far between, even in our little Nation.

My Aunts husband was Seminole, but he helped and worked for the Comanche People in his own way, never asking for recognition always more Comanche than some. I spoke at his Funeral and thought of all the little things he did, like cowboy coffee over an open fire at a sudden gathering and always taking care of the Flag when needed...he was a true Comanche(Seminole) Patriot....you will do your friend a great Honor.

Always On Watch said...

The first time I was asked to speak at a funeral service, I nearly panicked. Never mind that I've taught all these years!

But when I got up there and saw the faces of those in the assemblage, my delivery of the speech took care of itself. I found my voice (writer's term).

Yes, I did have the speech all written out, but I didn't have to read all out ahead of time, bit didn't need to read directly from the draft I had.

Looking back, I'm so glad that I spoke at that service. I brought to the service some unknown details about my dear friend.

The_Editrix said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
CM said...

Yet, why would you try to be different on a Blog than in real life, isn't that deceitful, or a lie, like yeagley?

Is it the way we post, I never wanted to pretend to be a beauty or young thing or anything I have been accused of by you know who, but I am the same in person as I post. Goofy, Grandmotherish, I like to read to all hours of the nite, all kinds of things but beginning with my own. One thing I do want is for people to keep to their own kind.... I mean in marriage, but it aint happening. Heck Indians can[t even keep our children from falling in love with other races. That can't be done now in this era, I wish it could be, but that does not make me racist. Another thing we do to often is adopt white people into our Traditional gatherings, now that I totally am opposed to, but I am not a Leader, its usually a Male Elder gone WILD and goofy!

Grandson want a ride into town, I'm gone!

The_Editrix said...

"People who know me in person know that the actual person is quite different from the blog persona."

Hey! Who isn't? I am actually terribly polite, gracious, tolerant and understanding in real life ... mmwuaahahahahahahhahaha

Randall Patrick McMurphy said...

Sounds like the Wicked Witch of the Hinterland to me.
mmwuaahahahahahahahaha?