Monday, February 01, 2010

Joking about dinner with AOW & TMW

I must have had an off night as I went out with TMW and AOW. Everyone had steak and ranch dressing and yours truly took the Mahi Mahi and oil and vinegar. I actually do like seafood especially if it one that is seen infrequently like Mahi Mahi.

The trip was fun as Amtrak is enjoyable. I had a blast on the trip and read Walter Laquer's take on the decline of Europe. His take is very fresh and unique so if you haven't read the other similar books this would be the one I recommend. His chapter on Russia alone is especially worth reading.

It seems that folks like the Duck live in a state of dementia. The mindless mental rot
pretends that everything European is enlightened and everything in the USA is backwards. Endless welfare checks and parroting bad Joooo has not worked in Europe.
Paternalism is condescending and all these pats on the head are meaningless.

10 comments:

The Merry Widow said...

I don't know about that, Beaker...after all, MJB's Mom had a dinner salad with salmon and oil & vinegar. AOW had crab cakes...Mr. AOW & I were the oddballs! LOL!

tmw
Good morning and thank you again!

Always On Watch said...

Beak,
Mr. AOW had a wonderful time during your visit. And so did I!

He can now brag to his few friends who still come around that a blogger friend came all the way from NYC to see him and take all of us out to dinner.

A pity that MJB couldn't join us. But at least his mother could. I bet that she and MJB are fighting over who gets to read the book first.

Ducky's here said...

Very nice of you to treat AOW and MW to an afternoon out, Beak.

beakerkin said...

Actually I went all the way from NYC
to DC. I gave her students some of my old books and I grabbed new ones.

I do enjoy traveling on Amtrak and at some point I will head the other way. Amtrak is not cheap but if you bring a book and your own food it is relaxing.

Do not eat the food at Union Station.It is seriously over priced and not too good. If one is in Penn Station in NYC there is an amazing place called Rosa's Pizzeria. As far as shopping Macy's
and Borders are nearby. My personal
favorite restaurant Bens Best Deli
is very close about six blocks North.

Maybe I should do a travel section about the food at the terminals.

The_Editrix said...

Sounds like a great day out! You are a nice guy, Beak! I wish I'd been there.

The Merry Widow said...

ducky-We ALL needed the break! Mr. AOW is basically homebound, and taking him out is a logistical nightmare.

Beaker hauled the transport chair and helped transfer Mr. AOW into and out of; cars and buildings. Saved our backs!

TE-Yes, Beaker is a great guy!

tmw

Z said...

It really was nice of you, Beak, and it sounds like you ALL had such a nice time! I'm especially glad that Mr AOW had such a good time!

cube said...

I came here via AOW's blog and was touched by your kind gesture.

cube said...

I came here via AOW's blog and was touched by your kind gesture.

Jason Pappas said...

I'm glad I stopped by to read about such a wonderful moment. Best regards to everyone! And best wishes for Mr AOW recovery.