The recent fracas at Bad Eagle has me wondering about Jewish identity and blogging. My blog varies with the demands placed by news, personal interest and other factors. I typically do not describe this site as "Jewish" despite the fact that the author of this site is Jewish.
The tragedy of the Yeagley situation is that he is clearly not an anti semite. Yet he is promoting values that just make me queasy. When I read his repeated obsessions with miscegenation I cringe. I also cringe at the primal way he describes our President as a "Negro".
When reading this blog what one takes out of my position is more of a reflection of the audience than of me. Oddly, my Conservative friends like AOW, Mr. B and so forth do not feel a need to find out where I am coming from.
1) We respect individual rights as found in the Constitution. The notion that a person is free to seek their own oath to God is in our Constitution. The Constitution in no way advocates theocracy, but it calls for a respect for religion.
This religious freedom ends when it is forced on other people or when exhortation to criminal acts is done.
If author Stephen Schwartz of the CIP is about, I wonder what his views on a Muslim chanting Kaybar at a Jewish speaker would be. Schwartz as a man of letters understands American values and Islam. All of us should object to a person burning a cross in front of anyone.
We assume that current trends follow into the future. Islam and Rap music do not seem like a great match, but it is a fact in many parts of the world. We assume that
Muslims living in Europe and America will not get changed by the surrounding culture. However, by generation three this may not be so. We presume that the Saudi type of intolerant type will be dominant, but this may not be so. We saw fears of overpopulation now being turned to population crashes in many countries.
2) We are anti communist. I do not seek their approval or friendship. The odd friendship between myself and the Duck is largely because he is not a cartoon. He is a well rounded person in comparison to a Che Bob or Renagade Eye. Life is not all about politics and gassy philosophy.
Communists, Anarchists, Nazis are every bit the enemies of the Jewish people that the folks in Hamas and Hezbollah are. Populist antisemitism is endemic on the far left. Prof. Finkelstein, the planets foremost antisemite, omits all discussion of his advocacy of Maoism.
3) As Americans, but especially as Jewish American, we do not tolerate any efforts to marginalize people because of race. The Holocaust did not happen overnight. There were the vulgar Nuremberg laws prohibiting race mixing and the incendiary rhetoric of people like Julius Striecher. When a mindless type in the far left in the UK states that the Mossad can count on 1/12 Jews to be assassins or talk of Neocon Cabals or Zionist media we are seeing echoes of Der Shturmer.
4) Oddly, while my ethnic composition is known little is known about the non Jewish readers. Does anyone know what ethnic group Farmer John or Mr B is? We don't know because they are in reality American to the core. Americanism as described in point one is a vibrant ethnicity that is just different than any other nation. We were founded by Revolution and sought to conserve existing individual rights. This was opposed to leftist revolutions ie the French or Russian modes that wanted to redefine man. There were Torries sent packing to Canada. After the Civil War some Americans went to Brazil and some Blacks were sent to Liberia. We did not have anything resembling the reign of terror or gulags.
Now commies like to point out the history of slavery and Native Americans in our past. Slavery was a world wide practice and contrary to the opinion of a wacky Professor was practiced by hunter gather types as well. What is outrageous is people who are well known for prison labor on a large scale are very familiar with this topic. In reality Commies are neoslavers and objecting to their recent past will get scores of idiocy about "false consciousness". One can fool some of the people some of the time but commies are fools all of the time.
Our complex relationship with Native Americans is probably best understood by thinking in Jared Diamond like terms. Native Americans were neither noble savages or barbaric savages. They lived in vibrant communities that like our own had their own positives and negatives. It is true Comanches probably did not have traffic jams or
worries about zoning. However, life was short and violent. When technologically superior people meet generally the results are predictable. The exception is the Muslim and Mongol conquests were often people conquered by people with less technology than the people they conquered. The notion that indigenous people should be respected is largely a concept flowing from Christian ethos.
There are those who term Slavery or the treatment of American Indians a Holocaust. Slavery as stated earlier was a global phenomena. Moreover, those who make these absurd claims often dismiss non western slavery. We have had "Black Nationalist" Uptown Steve admit that he doesn't care about the history of Islam and Slavery or African Slavery at FPM. It is not true that Africans were the only ones taken long distances for slavery. Muslims did kidnap a much smaller number of Europeans.
What makes the Holocaust unique is the specter of eugenics and junk science. There were all types of disgusting theories of racial superiority. People were exterminated because they were considered subhuman. While an element of this was true in our history with Native Americans it was more about land and resources. The Jews posed zero threat to Germany and represented a tiny percentage of the population. The killing was industrialized and that in and of itself is also unique.
5) When I see the politicization of science to suit a radical agenda this is a deeply
offensive and dangerous path. The Global Warming Crew has ripped a page out of the Eugenics movement. There were all types of fraudulent pseudo scientific rationales for racial supremacy. In fact our militant Greens twisted lied and misrepresented data for political purposes. The science was never there and reducing pollution does not mean draconian treaties or overthrow of capitalism. It requires effective regulation at the local level.