Sunday, May 18, 2008

Slobs vs Snobs on Film Born Yesterday

This movie must be some sort of warped revenge of the Duck. There are many movies that are period movies. This is one that should be forgotten in time.

The worst curse a man can ever have is to fall in love with a woman with a squeaky voice. No matter how beautiful the woman that voice drives one insane. If daily conversation is a drag than imagine the horrible noises in the bedroom. Fortunately, this movie spares us that horror. Two hours of squeaky whiny idiocy brings bad every bad heterosexual guys relationship from hell.

We have seen the familiar premise of trying to culture a bumpkin, Ala My Fair Lady. The idea of the uncouth millionaire being lectured by a pseudo intellectual is quite passe. In reality most of the millionaires I know have far better social skills than the bookworm scholars. Those few miserable millionaires have almost always been members of the lucky sperm club.

In general crass ignorance of the airhead type is not funny. If you like that type of humor it is done with more aptitude in the Legally Blond series. Sadly, Pothead humor Ala Bill and Ted
is funny has replay value. Laughing at ignorance is almost like watching a train wreck.

The film is entirely predictable with the woman hits books sees millionaire is classless and self centered. Domestic abuse is also not funny to an officer who hears these stories daily. e man of action for the book worm. The only place this happens is in fiction created by book worms.

Also left unsaid is how or why an skilled ruthless businessman would be so stupid as to leave a large chunk of his assets in the hands of a ditz. Moreover, the idea of a noble journalist is also fiction.

This film is billed as a comedy but is not funny. The acting is dreadful and I am at a loss to see what is so charming about Judy Holiday. If she were next to me in a bar I would move in about 30 seconds to get away from that nightmare combination of a squeaky voice combined with stupidity.

This film was an abomination.

13 comments:

American Crusader said...

I had a beautiful first wife with an unbelievable squeaky voice. Ah well. At least there were moments when talking with limited. Basically when she was sleeping.

beakerkin said...

AC

The things heterosexual men endure is amazing. To fall in love with a woman with a squeaky voice is a curse. It is like one of my date from hell stories except that the woman is probably describing me.

I did not see what was so alluring about Judy Holliday or the role she played. Two hours of squeaky whiny stupidity is just too much for a guy to deal with. At least when Reese Witherspoon does it the comedy is there and you can tell it is an act.

Z said...

I am SO relieved to hear you say this, Beak (so to speak!). I accidentally stumbled on the film this morning and remembered you all were going to watch; I saw the last half hour and kept asking myself what I'd missed that could make people LOVE this film so much, what was wrong with me that I DON'T and never DID?

I still don't. And, I'll just reiterate the comment I left on your other piece about it: I can't listen to Judy Holiday. The voice drives me batty and the stupidity is embarrassing.

having said that, I'm eager to hear the fans explain why they're fans.

beakerkin said...

It was a dreadful film and maybe it was a product of its time. Judy Holliday is annoying and I do not think she was acting.

The film appeals to film head because the girl falls for the girl falls for the bookworm. If I was the tycoon I would be happy to get rid of that dopey girl. I might even pay her plane fare to get rid of her.

Bad film.

Always On Watch said...

At least nobody ever me of having a squeaky voice. So I can't get my plane fare to leave, either.

Always On Watch said...

Typo alert. My comment should read as follows:

At least nobody ever accused me of having a squeaky voice. So I can't get my plane fare to leave, either.

(((Thought Criminal))) said...

I think the slobs should get to suggest the next movie.

I vote for Smokey and the Bandit.

beakerkin said...

Beamish

That might just kill the Duck. I am trying to imagine him watching Cannonball Run or the Bill and Ted films.

Ducky's here said...

It may be a film of its time, Beak but it is worthwhile to consider what that means. Humor today has become very sarcastic and sour. I like to call ours the "South Park" age. Humor certainly doesn't affirm anything these days.

"Born Yesterday" affirms democracy. It values education and it may be done in a style that disappeared in the early 50's but there is value in those simple homilies.

Technically there isn't much going on. Simple sets, no camera tricks but some VERY fine acting.
Judy Holliday (blacklisted by McCarthy) is simply brilliant in this and Broderick Crawford manages to stay with her. Watch the mannerisms during the gin game.

I'm surprised that you aren't more positive about a film that affirms basic values and gives you an acting lesson to boot. Holliday was something. She came up on the borscht with Adolph Green and Betty Comden and knew her trade. Died young of breast cancer and was reputed to have an I.Q. of 160.

In my film library I have it racked with Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, It's a Wonderful Life, Mr. Deeds Goes to Town ... all that stuff from populist American film history and I think it deserves the company.

I would like to suggest we have Beamish watch some really obscure Godard. How about Le Gai Savoir, even I can't get through it.

Anonymous said...

I've never seen the film and didn't watch it this weekend (sorry). Is mr. ducky saying that this film has legs simply because the actress was a commie (I've got a feeling that perhaps this film should be classed with Lillian Hellman's "Watch on the Rhine")... average films popularized because their "Creators" were fellow travellers (and having little to do with the film's content).

Ducky's here said...

No Farmer, it has legs because she is a brilliant comedienne.

I enjoy the irony of Beak not knowing she was blacklisted.

Ducky's here said...

Also Farmer I'm surprised Beak didn't take to it a little more.

He has been hanging with the crowd that claims Hollywood is the latest incarnation of the politburo so I would have expected him to appreciate an entry from the old school of pro democracy Hollywood populism.

SecondComingOfBast said...

Dos it always have to be a film that is shown on AMC or TCM or Fox Movies? I have an idea for a film I would like to see the two of you discuss-

The Crying Game.