Sunday, January 08, 2006

What is wrong with making entertaining films

Our friends in Hollywood have forgotten that they are in the entertainment business.
The problem is that they preach about the common man but have zero real connection with the common man. They Hollywood elite sit at their cocktail parties making films for each other rather then mass entertainment.

Hollywood should be run like any other business for proffit. It should also respect the customer you and I . There is an arrogance that pervades the entertainment industry . They tend to favor films like the Cider House rules over Shrek. The most important thing is for people to enjoy themselves and get value for their hard earned money.

Shrek, Monsters Inc, The Harry Potter Films and the Lord of the Rings series are the exceptions to the arrogance of Hollywood. There is alot of mediocrity out there and King Kong and Godzilla remakes are not exceptional.

The problem is that Hollywood has failed to respect the consumer. My nephew dragged me to the theatre as I am an uncle first. I have not felt there was a must see film since Shrek 2. I guess the accountants will have to tell the creative people the bottom line comes first.

8 comments:

beakerkin said...

No thanks Duck I will pass on Hollywood for now. I prefer books and when Hollywood puts entertainment first I might return

beakerkin said...

Rob

Shrek was a great film and it was what films should be entertaining.
Films should be fun and relaxing and that was the magic that Hollywood has forgotten . I like the big green guy.

beakerkin said...

Rob

I hate to say it but the Kiddie films have not forgotten the entertainment factor. It was well written and a fun for adults as well. I go to a film to be entertained . If Hollywood wants to make art flicks fine but the money is in entertainment.

Always On Watch said...

I usually don't like animated films, but at the insistence of my cousin, I watched Shrek on DVD. I loved it!

(((Thought Criminal))) said...

I stopped going to movies when Hollywood decided we needed to see TV shows from the 1980s made into movies.

Always On Watch said...

Beamish,
I very rarely go to the theater. I wait for films to come out on video or to appear on cable.

The last time I went to the theater was to see Spielberg's The War of the Worlds. I wanted to see the special effects on the big screen. I don't have a big-screen TV or surround sound here at home. This house, built in 1940, is crammed as it is, and the configuration of the room isn't conducive to technology. Too few electrical outlets, too.

Samwich: The movie "Pearl" was more a marketing survey than entertainment.

The desired information was "if the US is attacked will the people support war".


I'm guessing that years before Pearl even came out, movies were made to influence public opinion.

beakerkin said...

There is a musical version of War of the Worlds with Richard Burton and Justin Heyward of the Moody Blues. It was a great album except I wanted the aliens to devour Liz Taylor or Visa versa sigh.

Unknown said...

there are great movies out there that weren't high budget.

recommended movie- 'Pi'. this independent film is about an hour and a half long. the story is great, although it has somewhat outdated parts (it was made approx the time the whole Y2K thing was going on). in order to understand some points of the film, i suggest you read the 'Allegory of the Cave' by Plato. i also suggest you watch the film more than once. if you get the DVD version, there is a comic on it which also explains some of the things in the movie.