Friday, January 13, 2006

A Book Review of Flynn's Intellectual Morons

I am somewhat hesitant to do book reviews as they sometimes get moved to a for proffit site. I wtite my posts for the enjoyment of my readers. I am pleased if a fellow blogger links a post. However I am not pleased when a commercial site links one of my book reviews

Flynn's book is excellent and the real motto should be who needs gurus. The gurus are often laughable and adhere to comedic points. The Communist past of these gurus is swept under the rug. Sadly, the wars and real life failures are airbrushed out of history.

I am not philosophically oriented as I would rather read history then abstract tracts. Thus when I go toe to toe with a Commie the Black Book of Communism is moe effective then Rand or Aristotle. However one should read the chapter on Chomsky, Zimm and Vidal to brush up on the basics.

The book is a direct linear assault at mostly deserving targets. It is ejoyable and thought provoking even if the chapter on Kinsey is stomach turning. The chapter on Rand is a comedic example of people who need lives. Reading any book more then twice is idiocy and the slavish emulation is an example why people do not need gurus.

This book is not for everyone but if you enjoy a linear assault on the trinity of the far left and some on the right. I understand that I am not tied to any one philosophy unlike some so my reaction will be different then some.

Flynn and I share one point that it is better to be one's own person. No philosophy is a magical silver bullet solving all problems. In the case of Marx and the far left and Marx the application of the philosophy is deadly and worse then the maladies that precede the Revolutions.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you're right beak. The purpose of philosophy is to answer the question "What is a good life". Different people will come up with different answers. Therefore a "single" philosophy is seldom sufficient...unless it provides for these differences.

-FJ

(((Thought Criminal))) said...

The purpose of philosophy is to answer the question "What is a good life."

This was true until the rise of Utilitarianism. It's all "What is a good argument" to the tune of killing people for their own good since then.

Always On Watch said...

The book's title and subtitle make me smile every time.

beakerkin said...

Duck

Your kind was shreded by me long before I read Flynn. Marx is evil and all adherents of Marx belong under governmental scrutiny. Marxists do not belong anywhere near educational systems. Marxism has clear religious undertones but yet the Commies have the nerve to cry about Christians.

As for my reviews I do not mind the link of a fellow blogger but a business does not seem right.

(((Thought Criminal))) said...

You also can't discount the disastrous effect that America's giving France back to the French after taking it from the Nazis has had on Africa, as well as the Middle East and Southeast Asia, for that matter. Leaving France without teaching them about democracy and culture was America's greatest foreign policy mistake of the 20th Century.