Sunday, August 07, 2005

Wind Rocks and metaphors

Recently I wrote a post titled no man owns the wind. I will add no man understands or should attempt to understand the wind. Some have said if my traveling companion is the wind what are you ?

There are some that think that I am a tree . However trees provide shade and they bend with the wind unless it is a hurricane. In a hurricane trees snap or fall.

I am a rock as I am dense and clueless. The Northwind blew cold and was gone. The wind comes from another direction and the Northwind raged. The Northwind likes to drift but ex[ects the rock to remain steady.

Wind is fickle and unpredictable and while I appreciate the breeze I never count on it. I am a rock unyielding dense and clueless but content with my lot.

There are better sorts and I need to move this boulder to the forrest. A rock in a windtunnel is not advantageous. Even rocks get worn down but I got swept away by the novelty. I can only be what I am and I am not and will never be more then a rock.

On a related note, now that I found decent books I will resume being a man of books.
I did enjoy my forays into the environment but with few exceptions the locals are fairly depressing. I do not understand the chip on the shoulder a few have towards intellectuals. It isn't hard to crack a book or two but this is not NYC and I understand that . People do not read Robert Spencer or Bat Yeor. The focus is on local gossip and real issues like paying bills and kids. I haven't the patience or inclination about local gossip but the other part is interesting.

Vermont is a different reality but I do not belong here. I belong in a stack of books and exchanging ideas with like minded folk.
sharpenin

4 comments:

Always On Watch said...

Beak,
I apologize in advance for posting this comment as it has nothing whatsoever to do with your article.

At http://socialsense.blogspot.com/2005/08/did-you-know_06.html
G has left a comment well down in the comments. At the end of the comment to which I'm referring is a note which I'd like you to look over. Is G's note true?

I'm managing Social Sense for a few days while Mustang is unavailable.

unaha-closp said...

A modern hydro-electric powerstation can speed up or slow down in just 6 seconds. Coupling fickle wind power to existing hydro power allows consistant power sypply.

"When the wind blows the waters are still and when the wind stops the water moves."

Anonymous said...

On rocks...

Tertullian

"[T]he Lord said to Peter, ‘On this rock I will build my Church, I have given you the keys of the kingdom of heaven [and] whatever you shall have bound or loosed on earth will be bound or loosed in heaven’ [Matt. 16:18–19]. . . .

Upon you, he says, I will build my Church; and I will give to you the keys, not to the Church; and whatever you shall have bound or you shall have loosed, not what they shall have bound or they shall have loosed" ( Modesty 21:9–10 [A.D. 220]).

-FJ

Anonymous said...

On wind...

Hesiod, "Theogony"...

(ll. 378-382) And Eos bare to Astraeus the strong-hearted winds, brightening Zephyrus, and Boreas, headlong in his course, and Notus, -- a goddess mating in love with a god. And after these Erigenia (16) bare the star Eosphorus (Dawn-bringer), and the gleaming stars with which heaven is crowned.

-FJ