Friday, November 05, 2010

Happy Diwalli

I spent last night with the Tranquil Sea and the Sprite setting up the house for the Hindu festival of Diwalli. As a good step parent I respect the religious traditions of the Tranquil Sea even though it is not my own. Workers joke that I am now a Hinjew. However, I have not converted and do not plan to do so.

I went to the market to buy some items for Saturday. The middle daughter took the fresh pineapple and cut it in the traditional West Indian style it was simply amazing. The Sprite followed me to the market and got a few items.

Some of the odd spices and items I use found their way into meals. I tend to use barley more than rice. I usually have a bag or two of lentils around especially in winter. I am certain the ingredients I left to make an Isreali Salad will be long gone into something else.

I did leave several can of cut fruit for Thanksgiving. I like to make a huge bowl of Jello with fruit and whipped cream. I am too lazy to make stuffing from scratch and will look for a cornbread mix. The Sprite toasted up a few marshmellows that were meant for something else.

I guess in the days of tighter budgets everyone works with what is around in the kitchen.

6 comments:

Always On Watch said...

Cornbread from a mix is good, actually. I use Jiffy brand as I like cornbread with sweetness.

I've never learned my mother's knack for making delicious cornbread from scratch.

(((Thought Criminal))) said...

No kernbred is complete without pork cracklins baked in it ;)

The_Editrix said...

"I like to make a huge bowl of Jello with fruit and whipped cream."

YUM!!!

beakerkin said...

I am learning how unusual my step daughters diet has been. She has never eaten anything with honey. She hates dried fruit and prefers it regular. She does not know what pistachios are? She has never tasted barley or celery.

The_Editrix said...

It's surely a fascinating experience! I happen not to be too keen on any of the things the little one has never tasted, but that's pure chance. Maybe she'll like them.

How do you, with your egalitarian views, deal with the Hindu caste system? Tolerance towards the belief system of others is one thing, staying true to one's Western achievements something else.

beakerkin said...

Editrix

With very great difficulty. I honor and partake in the holiday for family unity, but am clear that my people are different.

It is very funny that this natural question should come up. Durring a rest time my step daughter wanted to know why I am such a big fan of John Wayne. The movie we were watching was the Undefeated. I explained the Civil War as well as the Mexican Civil War.

My step daughter noticed that John Wayne walks like me and has a similar stlye of delivery. Explaining Merlin Olsen was not difficult. However, explaining half breeds was and that is where I discussed Americanism.

I also had to briefly deal with racism. Some dimwit made a comment
about my alabaster skin and green eyes. I explained that anyone can be a dad, but a father is a man of responsabilty and honor. Most are up to the challenge, but some are not. Her dad is deceased, but I chose my role and have never been happier.

We transmit egalitarianism through
the way we interact. My step daughter knows I am a very educated
man and that I am very respected in the community. She learned this
when lawyers were addressing me as sir. I explained that is only at work, where I prefer Officer. At community funtions the shortened version of my first name will do.