Sunday, December 19, 2010

My first Christmas

I am in the odd situation of celebrating Christmas with my Hindu family. They do not go to Church, but really decorate the home. I want to be clear that I have not converted from my original faith. However, in the interest of peace in the home I am participating fully. I think I will make another Turkey with some creamy mashed potatoes.

My step daughter is expecting a child soon. I am interested how the Sprite will react to a younger niece. She has had the focus of 100% of the attention and will have to be a big sister for the time being. The little Maltese should be fine as he spends all of his time with me anyway. He is very clever and gets his point across. He brings me the harness if he wants a walk. He licks my beverage if his bowl is empty. He never forgets to get his cut when I eat.

I haven't always lived well, but am now getting to see poverty up closer than I like. Things that I do normally like toss out leftovers are not done here. The dog in the back yard eats the leftovers and the little Maltese will grab any bone I leave on the plate. The daughter has figured out that the food I leave in the cupboard can be made quickly. Then again if she wants canned fruit be my guest a can of peaches and pears never hurt a kid. She does not eat the salmon or tuna in a can.
Someone poached the chicken in a can for some nefarious use. I tend to use it as emergency dog food.

I have given the Tranquil Sea a pair of Uggs. I told her to lock them at work as her coworkers will steal them. Mine are not much better, but someone keeps stealing my lunch at work. Why anyone would steal flat bread Chicken sandwiches with ranch dressing and pickles is beyond me?

Merry Christmas.

I should be away from Wed night until Monday for the next two weeks. I will be calling some of you over the phone to wish you seasons greetings.

16 comments:

The_Editrix said...

I don't think you are betraying your faith if you are celebrating Christmas with your family. There is that touching story told by Schalom Ben-Chorin (né Fritz Rosenthal, 1913 Munich - 1999 Jerusalem) where the little Jewish girl in Munich cries: "Look Mummy, the Christians have a Christmas tree as well!" It doesn't come across very well in English, because "Christmas" is "Weihnachten" in German and "Christmas tree" "Weihnachtsbaum". However, it showed how much the assimilated German Jews had become cultural Christians. (And a fat lot of good it did them!)

When I was still living in West Germany I had Tamil friends. They followed a funny sort of faith, a mixture of Christianity and Hinduism. They even had gone on a pilgrimage to Lourdes. I never understood, how that could go together, but then, I don't HAVE to understand it.

beakerkin said...

I am learning on the job with my new family.

Now if only I can grasp why my daughter is so fascinated by sandwiches served with pickles. I had a chicken sandwich ripped from my hands by my daughter crying that it is no fair that she gets nuggets and I get a sandwich. She also does perfect math when nuggets are involved.

Go figure.

Always On Watch said...

I'll be expecting your phone call, then.

Always On Watch said...

My father-in-law is a militant atheist. Still, he does celebrate Christmas to some extent.

Anonymous said...

This is Patrick, from The Pagan Temple. My blog has disappeared, and I don't know if I'm going to get it back or not. I'm going to start a new blog on Wordpress, and even if I do get the Blogger blog back I'm going to transfer it to Wordpress. It might be a few days, but I've had enough of Blogger to do me for a lifetime, so I'm gondi.

jams o donnell said...

I hope you have an enjoyable christmas Beak.If the early church fathers had wanted it to be a time of quiet contemplation they wouldn't have chosen to celebrate it during Saturnalia!

The_Editrix said...

What are nuggets in this context, Beak?

ThePaganTemple said...

Well, I've got a new blog on Wordpress, at least for now.

beakerkin said...

Editrix Nuggets are fried white meat chicken strips most often sold to kids at fast food restaurants. I have zero idea why she is so fascinated be sandwiches with large bread & butter ( sweet pickle chips).
She ran off with my Quiznos Chicken sandwich with BBQ and a large amount of pickles. She ignored her mothers Chicken Teryaki.

SecondComingOfBast said...

Well, I'm back. So now I got two Pagan Temple blogs. I don't really know what to do now. There's a lot of things I don't like about WordPress, but at the same time, I don't want this crap to happen again, its been an ordeal, screwed my whole damn day up, which is pretty damn sad when you stop to think about it.

Ducky's here said...

It's one thing that you're letting mom take you for a ride but you should really discipline the kid.

beakerkin said...

Ducky

I can not explain the love I have for my kid. If she wants my sandwich let her have it.

Pagan

What is the positives and negatives to wordpress.

SecondComingOfBast said...

The positives are about the same as you find on Blogger, except maybe you don't have to feel under the gun there like I do here right now.

The negatives are, you can't control your font size, which sucks because I like a bigger than average font. There are other problems that are probably just a matter of getting used to the difference in the system.

Mainly, I can't use Intense Debate there, which royally sucks.

Also, and this is the weirdest part, when I leave a comment here, somebody that clicks on the user name link will go straight to my homepage, but if I comment on another Wordpress blog, it seems to go to the idiotic profile page, which is something I always despised about Bloggers commenting system. Makes me want to scream. I don't know why, I know they can't hear me.

Rob said...

Yo Beak man,

Hope you have a great first Christmas.

The_Editrix said...

TPT, just see that you make regular backups. I've tried Wordpress, but hated it. The advantages of the Blogger system beat its disadvantages hands down imo.

Alligator said...

Editrix, "nuggets" are chicken meat cut into little cubes and deep fried.

Beak, enjoying the national holiday is not a betrayal of your faith. Christmas is multifaceted. Obviously, there is the spiritual Christian component, but then there are cultural and social aspects that are not necessarily spiritually oriented. By the same token, I have absolutely no problem in attending or participating in a Jewish holiday like Hanukkah as a guest. If someone wishes me Happy Hanukkah, Seasons Greetings, Happy Winter Solstice, etc. I will take it as a compliment and well wishing, not an offense. Likewise I would hope that no one would freak out with my "Merry Christmas" even if they are not believers. Too many Americans are thin skinned and are taught and encouraged to be that way by folks who want to divide and control the populace.

With that Beak, I hope you and your family had a blessed Hanukkah and have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.