Sunday, March 09, 2008

Wrong Impression

I do not understand why people who know me in my personal life get the wrong impression about
the type of officer I am. Those who know me outside of work would expect a tougher more agressive persona. This was certainly the case when I played sports or worked in private industry.

Most who know me would be shocked to learn that I am known for being gentle. If the couple in front of me warrants charming I am glad to turn the dial up. However, when something is wrong I react to what I see. I will try to let people with criminal records tell as much as possible. Many of the situations are a series of bad choices. Many times people who need help refuse to meet us half way for cultural reasons or pride.

Even when something goes wrong I never display anger. About the worst thing I may say is this testimony does not make sense, I am getting very concerned or your testimony conflicts with previous accounts or the record. For me this is a part of my job and not the highlight of the job. The rules and procedures are in place to protect us from Cowboyism.

The hardest part of the job is learning to pick and choose the right fights. Just because you can do something does not mean you should. My boss demonstrated this a few times on waiver cases. The point was my arguments were true but likely to get tossed in court. I have no ego and have no problem learning from experience. Moreover, if I was a judge I would likely have tossed that case as well. However, we will fight other more serious matters such as fake divorces
and criminality seriously. This is doubly true when sex crimes or crimes that involve children are
involved. Fortunately those cases go to a special officer who is very good at that.

People read this blog and they mistake the fire and loathing of communists as agression. This is
an incorrect reading as I love my country and loathe its enemies foreign and domestic. My love of human nobility is the reason I despise Utopians and all those who cheapen life for power mad schemes. The lust for power endangers all of us. I loathe commies, jihadis, Nazis, racial power nuts and criminals. They are mankinds enemies and are pariahs in the community of man.

I have a special place for Anarchists who are the stand up comedians in life. Anarchists are fools who are too stupid to be evil. They are like Charlie Brown trying to kick the football with predictable futility. They form alliances with Commies and always get taken out like Old Yeller at some point. Even Enema Lazurus pointed out the Trotsky rope a dope game long ago. Anarchists unlike octupuses, lab rats and dogs never learn. Then again one has to be the vilage idiot to be an anarchist in the first place.

Part of being a NYer is understanding the person down the hall comes from another place but has alot in common with you. We may not agree on specifics but we have the same goal. I see many of the good cases as just the latest batch of NYers.

5 comments:

Z said...

Personally? I like a little 'cowboyism'..but that's just me!

Great piece, Beak....most of us would do better by seeing all people who we differ with as 'just the latest batch of NYers' and not the enemy, or stupid. well..maybe not ALL....

The Merry Widow said...

Picking your fights is also excellent advice! I know, I have teens, and we have survived the worst because I don't nitpick everything. I may not like or entirely approve, but I won't sweat the small change...G*D can straighten out a lot without my help!
Besides, they do need to know how to think things through on their own, and a few "consequences" drive the point home, permanently!
Good morning, G*D bless and Maranatha!

tmw

elmers brother said...

yes do not major on the minors

jams o donnell said...

In my time as an Immigration Officer I learned quickly that losing your rag or throwing your weight was pointless and wrong. I despised my colleagues who were offensive to passengers or to people detained for further investigation. My biggest hatred was for the "headhunters" - the sort who tried to make a case out of nothing just to get a refusal.

beakerkin said...

Jams

I 100% agree and the axiom of just because you can does not mean you should. If something is wrong and there is criminal implications by all means go ahead. However, there are rules and procedures that need to be respected.