Sunday, March 16, 2008

Travels of a New Yorker

There are relatives that I do not like to spend time with. I always schedule an event so that I do not have to deal with them. These events range from the creation of imaginary relatives on the other side of the family, notably cousin Wilbur from North Carolina.

I had one of those dreaded family functions and I was looking for anyway out. Sadly a co-workers son died and off I went to a funeral. It was in a part of the city I seldom go to. That part of the city has my favorite hobby shop. You can get all types of models and I will see if they have some prepainted planes from WW2 next time. Nearby is the Olympic dinner for some Greek food and a great little pet store.

I have never been to a Hindu wake but it is very different. There were prayers with Indian music and it was a learning experience. People in Europe talk about multi culturalism but NYC residents live it. I had lunch at an Afghan kebab stand, dinner in a Greek resturant, I sat with a Haitian co-worker at a Guyanese Hindu funeral.

5 comments:

QunQat said...

Beak, you need a slot car set!! Or, you could get one o' them kuel radio control units to buzz people in Central Park or at work!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

beakerkin said...

They sell those at the store. I think I am going to get myself a model of Godzilla.

The Merry Widow said...

The terror of 47th Street! LOL!
I'll bet it was a learning experience, and the food sounds good(I love Greek!)
I have it easier than you, all my relatives ignore our existence...quieter that way. And NO Uncle Charluie that has to be watched because he takes his clothes off in the middle of the livingroom, or other assorted 'types'!
I get to pick the crazies I hang out with! LOL!
Good morning, G*D bless and Maranatha!

tmw

Anonymous said...

Yes, I enjoy 'American' multi-culturalism, too. It's a bit different when you go out to dinner in a place like Singapore, have a great Chinese dinner, but then have to waft and wind your way past a crowd milling about a funeral pyre that had been lit on the streetcorner...

Z said...

FJ..did you have those spicy crabs at the harbor restaurants? Oh, MAN!!
I missed the funeral pyres. thank goodness.