Friday, January 07, 2011

The soul of a good officer

I work in a position where one does use power. One learns about themselves when one uses power. I spoke to a peer at the State Department who was beginning their career.
I showed him that it is the most rewarding work on the planet and there is no cause to ever be mean. If we can't grant a benefit, I explain clearly what is missing or the law in question. In some cases, I will discuss the precedent in question with the attorney and will listen to a rebuttal. Unlike some if the argument in question has merit I will reverse course, because it is not about ego. The job is the right benefit at the right time, to the right person.

I pointed out that a good officer tells his peer of the cases that were messed up for years that they resolved rather than arrests or denials. I do plenty of those other types as part of my work, but it is not something I look forward to. I avoid those who want to be a super hero and make a name.

For me the greatest joy is seeing families that have waited get the benefit they deserve. I get to share wonderful moments with good people who are lost in the system. There is no better reward than seeing the smiles of good people who sometimes even remember your efforts.

I had a woman whose case required a lot of work if she was willing to wait five hours for me to correct the errors. In her case she could be granted relief but the computers had to be corrected and information packets prepared. The woman stated what is five hours when I have waited 18 years. The paper work was done in three hours and the mother and daughters cried together. I wished them a happy holiday and
sent them home with a smile.

2 comments:

Ducky's here said...

So you're back from giving pat downs at the airport?

Brooke said...

Good on you, Beak!