Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Rough times locally

Much of life is timing. People with my degree tended to walk into back office jobs in Wall Street. Unfortunately, right before I graduated a major crash in the market eliminated those jobs. Thus my career path took me to several jobs before a long stint in the fashion industry.

The crash was a temporary thing but time had closed the door in my face. A few years later the doors reopened but central casting wanted fresh graduates. I always wondered what my career would have been like with better timing. I looked at a few of my HS classmates who did well by signing on right after high school and worked their way up.I looked at college friends who graduated two years before and after me wondering where my skills and ability would have taken me.

Wall Street is a local industry in these parts. It is very hard to see good people lose their jobs. Many of them thought the good times would never end and had lifestyles that never accounted for this. I took a friend who has seen his hopes and dreams go up in smoke to lunch. The reality that some of these jobs may never return
has not hit my friend. I hope his marriage survives this but strains are natural.

I have been through the same thing as my friend. I worked hard for several companies
that closed. It is a hard thing to see as the company and coworkers become like family. I am starting to wonder if my current career is a divine blessing as I just am not equipped to handle what my friends are going through.

7 comments:

Ducky's here said...

Sounds like they got the Full Ayn Rand. Why feel sorry for them.

In the right wing world they just get another job, right?

The Merry Widow said...

It probably is, for 2 reasons; you are needed where you are and you are somewhat sheltered from the visitudes of private industry.
And believe you, me, there are many of us out here that appreciate th job you are doing!
Good morning, G*D bless and Maranatha!

tmw

(((Thought Criminal))) said...

Ducky,

I know a large part of the high priority that leftists place on convincing people that leftists are imbeciles manifests itself in the form of half-baked economic analysis, but those guys aren't experiencing the full Ayn Rand.

They got screwed in the ass by the full Barney Frank.

Ducky's here said...

I'm glad you brought that up, Beamish. Frank bears some responsibility and he is a Libertarian.

Of course like all Libertarians, it would be best if he went back to his sandbox. Keep looking for someone to blame but try to start from the obvious premise --- unregulated markets fail and consume themselves and us with them.

Now is it time to stop taling your right wing nonsense and decide what level of regulation we need? Because we know that lack of proper regulation leads to very dark places.

(((Thought Criminal))) said...

Sorry, Ducky.

I understand your leftist need to convince people that all leftists, without even a single exception, are all imbeciles, but you're not going to disown your own when the scrutiny gets tough. Go sell your bullshit to your fellow morons at Daily Kos.

Barney Frank (D - Flophouse) is a Democrat, a member in good standing of the same party that blocked President Bush's proposals for regulating Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac back in 2003.

You might recall it was Co-President Bill Clinton that threatened to fine Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae and other banks if they didn't make housing loans to low-income / zilcho-credit people who had no idea how they were going to pay them back.

You should also note John McCain's attempts as early as 2003 to get regulations passed on these creditors to defuse the ticking time bomb.

And your new wonder boy, Barack Hussein Obama (D - Weather Underground) managed, in his 143 days as an active Senator, to become the number 3 largest recipient of cash from them on the list of political contributions going back 20 years, chiefly for his work in securing the golden parachutes for all the ex-Clinton administration officials on the boards that steered Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac directly into the ground.

As your own sense of bitterness at the world can attest, there just ain't enough morons in America to sell your partisan leftist bullshit to.

Which is why the branch of government with any influence on the economy whatsoever, current controlled by the Democratic Party, has the lowest apporval rating (9 percent!) in American history.

Americans know who to blame, and it ain't the Republican Party.

Or the Libertarians.

SecondComingOfBast said...

Actually, Beamish, I'm afraid they don't know who to blame. This is something that needs to be discussed more openly and publicly, because I seriously doubt that most Americans are aware of all the things you pointed out here. I know I wasn't.

(((Thought Criminal))) said...

PT,

It's volatile and juicy televised debate fodder.

The Democratic Party is seriously running a candidate with an economic adviser who was the man responsible for driving Fannie Mae into a ditch while enriching himself (and Obama, and a bunch of other big name Democrats)

vs.

The Senator who co-sponsored legislation to reform regulations on Fannie Mae back in 2003, 2004, and 2005.

Hey, I've been telling you Democrats are morons for years.