Saturday, May 24, 2014

Decorum and professionalism

A couple of stories in the news.  A CNN employee was allegedly fired for wearing absurd outfits to work.  The suit alleges gay bias. While there is lots of discussion about what is and is not appropriate work wear the discussion involves heterosexual females 90% of the time. 90% of that is from females bothered by other females wearing skimpy outfits.

Being male I am burdened by the absurd tie. I don't like ties and they get in the way. If I am performing a ceremony or testifying in court this is another matter. It is an anachronistic feature that should be optional.
However, if I chose to dress up like Davy Crockett or in  traditional  Indian attire then that is a distraction.
One time is a joke, but a long term pattern is something else. If I wore the Guyanaman shirt every week that would be an issue.

This issue is not homosexuality so much as outrageous clothes creating a distraction. 

No comments: