Saturday, May 28, 2011

Darkest before the dawn

I look back and am amazed at where I am today. I have never been happier than spending time with my daughter, the Sprite and the little Maltese. I bought some chicken breast from the butcher for the little guy.

I spent my birthday with my daughter remembering a different world I lived in. Maybe the greatest mistake we ever did was allow lefties to denigrate motherhood and make the stay at home mom seem irrelevant.

I lived in a world where mom was always there. The Sprite's mom works nights so going to the play ground is a treat even if it is with dad.

The new world is not better than my era. The video games are better but the music is dreadful and the TV is not as good as Happy Days, All in the Family and Kojak. The era where all the kids had a sibling or two has been changed to only child.

Are we better off today than in the 80's or 70's? I don't think so. The Obama economic mess has good people doing nothing. The workplace is nastier than its ever been if you have a job.

Yet in spite of everything I am happier than ever being a father was not something that I thought

3 comments:

Always On Watch said...

Maybe the greatest mistake we ever did was allow lefties to denigrate motherhood and make the stay at home mom seem irrelevant.

There have been so many unintended bad consequences to the working-mother ideal.

I do think that one reason for the rising obesity rate among children is partially due to all the working mothers, who are too exhausted to prepare nutritious and low fat meals.

CM said...

A Mothers love will most always be, but a Father is someone we will always, always love standing in his Shadow. You make a wonderful, safe, loving shadow for the little Sprite to be in.

Z said...

are we better off now?
Weren't you liave in the 80's or 70's? AH, for the great old days; my business was turning clients away..
and ALL IN THE FAMILY...something I loved to watch now but sure do see the seeds of anti-Conservatism when I watch it now. blech
Glad you like fathering...let's just hope we do something so the children have a better place in which to grow; like we did.