Thursday, February 06, 2014

Circle of (Ice

I awoke at the usual time planning my commute. The message had been given delayed opening. I watched SVU and prepared for a later bus. I found a later bus and upon arrival roughly three miles away had been told office closed,

At that point my task was to turn around and make it home. First I had to pick up the newspaper and the amazing Hot and Crusty Bagels in Penn Station. From there it was fairly simple as the One train leaves one 30 feet from the ferry terminal. After a harbor crossing the bus was right there and it dropped me a block from my house.

Along the day I heard a strange noise that sounded like dimes falling. It was sheets of ice coming from the trees outside. Ice storms are usually the most dangerous event in my area as trees snap under the weight of ice.

There is another big storm on Sunday exactly when my family is returning from Guyana.

5 comments:

Always On Watch said...

It was a big mess here early tomorrow morning with everything coated with 1/4 inch of ice. I couldn't get from the house to the car for hours!

I know what you mean by sheets of ice. One fell on my car while I was driving to work. Scare the hell out of me!

What we had here was nothing as compared to what NYC got, though.

Ducky's here said...

Beak you are aware of a few things, I assume.

1. It's February

2. You live in the Northeast.

3. We haven't had a real large storm all winter.

beakerkin said...

My family is in Guyana missing this crap. We usually get two storms and no freezing rain. Ice storms are very rare but in VT they are more frequent and no laughing matter.

We had several light snow events, but we had Gomer Che DiBlassio screwing things up.

Ducky's here said...

How'd that huge storm hit the NYC wimps?

We got an inch here in the Hub.

beakerkin said...

less than nothing. We had about 2 inches. I shoveled about 830. When I left for work there was about 1/4
of an inch. The sun melted all of it.