Wednesday, April 04, 2012

The Long Journey Home

The voyage home took three months. There were many of us who did not yearn to return to regular jobs. I was the exception spitting vinegar and hostile to the end. Yes I made new friends and my time away proved my critics wrong again. The question of if I could excell at this new task was a foregone conclusion to all those who knew my work.

I returned to my desk on Monday. Some of the lawyers were new, but I prefer familiar foils who know my quirks and mannerisms. Some of the interpreters were new but very good. There are a few who are so used to me that I do not have to even remind them I am changing tone. With the newest interpreters I do a two minute gameplan. My style depends on split second timing and misdirection and Monday I was off. It took two days but I am in top form.

This may sound odd but the other assignment is said to play to my strengths. However, I am happier in my large office with fewer people winning the ballgame rather than placing things back on track.

It is good to be home.

1 comment:

Ducky's here said...

Look at it this way, it took Ulysses ten years when the others were all home in a couple weeks.

I'm sure that journey is equal in your mind to learning to fill out a new form.